May 10, 2009

(Grand)mothers

Mommy
I interrupted my mom's Sunday school (she was teaching) to give her a flower and the Aunties and Uncles did this: "AWWWWWW" collectively. It was amazing.

Ma-ma

My family sat in the dark after a Josh-Me-Dad-cooked dinner, surrounding an orange candle in our living room. Dad wanted to tell us about Grandma, because we didn't really know about her, other than that she loved us very much. He started off by telling us about her destructive relationship with my Grandpa, and how it caused hate and bitterness. It was so terribly sad so I cried at all the things that composed what was their family's tear-filled song. But I just praise God for changing my dad to become a man of Him, because my grandparents' lives were also changed. My Grandma liked to travel, and went to live with all eight of her children. I asked if they loved each other, and he said they did have some romantic love near the end; when my Grandma was away, my Grandpa would write love letters to her. After my Grandpa went heavenward, my Grandma got lung cancer. Before she died, she said she was afraid of three things: 1) losing sight in her other eye 2) not being able to see her entire family 3) pain. My dad always prayed with her and God gave my Grandma all three wishes before she went home.

Por-Por
I just got off the phone with my mom's mom. I haven't talked to her awhile; I kind of sense that she would rather talk to my mom, maybe our generational gap is too big. Anyway, it turns out she is learning English. No, you don't understand: she. Is. Learning. English. WHAT?! She is 92 years old and has never spoken an English word in her life (other than 'fank-you'). Apparently, the manager at her home is teaching her. The first word she told me was supposed to be "exercise" but apparently it's "lee-ser-lee". Then, she got intense! She knows "Beeef," "Chic-kun," "Mil(k)," and "Oranguce." I was running back and forth from my living room and kitchen yelling "GRANDMA YOU ARE SO GOOD!" and telling my mom what she was saying. It made me so, so happy and I'm glad I didn't say bye to her (I gave the phone to my mom) or else I would have burst into tears because I have so much love for her inside of me. Before, when she said bye to me, she would refuse to hang up the phone first, so I would have to and all I would hear is "Bye-bye, la! Bye-bye, la!" She really breaks my heart. I am making a new commitment to pray for her everyday.

Speaking of praying, right now I'm inconsistent again, so I will start small and build up. 15 minutes in the morning and 15 minutes before I sleep. Keep me accountable? Eek, it's already 10:30.

2 comments:

rach said...

this makes me happy. i love(d) my grandparents. i mean, i still love my grandmas. i miss my grandpa sometimes (always) and tears well up when i think of him.

God bless,
r.

ps. benee.

candice said...

i remember you telling me about your cute mother's day present! AWWW :) haha this reminds me of my grandparents. i kind of wish i couldve talked to my porpor and gong gong? more. but then it was hard cause they lived in hk and plus they didnt really speak canto, and definitely not english haha. but yes, very happy post!

and i shall keep you accountable for your little prayer thing!

P.S. i didnt blog about our little "baby" cause i was planning to talk about it at fellowship so i didnt want to ruin it HAHA : )